Monday, January 16, 2012

A TEASE


This morning we woke up to a trace of snow. Yes, us Pacific North westerners get pumped at the slightest sight of the white stuff. As you can see, my bird feeders and bird houses are in deeply sad shape. I have suet that I will put out today and pray the unwanted rodents don't dine on them before the avian beauties find the goods. The other day I was at the kitchen sink watching for birds to come get some yummy cracked corn I tossed out for them. Shhhh...don't tell the hens that I was giving their goods to other winged creatures. And to my surprise I caught a glimpse of what looked like a squirrel with the hair missing from its tail. I love squirrels...only this wasn't a squirrel. It was a Norway rat! Now if all you out there think that you don't have rats, think again. This one resides under our pond, nonetheless. When you have chickens...you will have the four legged rodents dining too. So I just need to keep all food up at night and pray they go elsewhere. I am hesitant to put out bait stations, as I don't want to poison a pet or desired wildlife. So this will take some thinking. In the meantime, I am going to wish for more snow.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. We will be lending you the electric chair/box, as soon as we take care of business here...then they will be swinging on feeders in 'Heaven'...hahahaha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where there are horses there are rodents, sad but true, it’s just a case of keeping the population down. We have a lot of cats around where we keep the horses so they catch quite a few, but I know that obviously birds and cats don’t really go hand in hand. It is a tricky one I hope you can think of a way to keep the population down.
    Regards
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it snows, I put out some food for the wild birds but have given up on feeders the rest of the time because of rats.

    ReplyDelete