Friday, September 9, 2011

STOCKING THE FREEZER


At the beginning of September I found myself out of a lot of bird food.  My boys get two little scoops of seed a day, and the rest of their diet consists of pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, along with a bean mix.  Here is a shot of my freezer after the goods are bagged up and ready to freeze.


I must admit...I do spoil my boys with special treats once in a while.  They love these nuggets hidden in toys and tucked in corners.  I also give them birdie bread that I bake myself.


These little gems are filled with the bean mix.  My boys are not crazy about this mix, but they are warming up to it little by little.  Oh...and they also love pumpkin, sweet potatoes in mash form.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought my chickens were spoiled by having popcorn almost every evening before bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your guys are very lucky to have such a great mom!

    xo

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my birds' daily bean mix with beans, brown rice, frozen mixed vegetables, and whatever else I have around--some raisins, oatmeal, cornmeal, canned pumpkin, yams, apple bits. Is yours like that or do you have additional ingredients? Always looking for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, my flock does not like everything mixed together. They want their bean mix in one section of the cup and their diced fruit and veggies in another. I tried to chop their veggies with my food processor, but they refused to eat it...they want it to be hand chopped! They also love broccoli...raw, of course. If I give them kale, I clip a large leaf in their cage...they don't like kale chopped. Picky little guys, aren't they. You feed your flock very well...good job!!

    ReplyDelete